Whichever industry you are in, technical writing will always be needed. Creating technical documentation to cater to the needs of the business or the customers has been in action for a long. Technical writers who can produce material that is easily understandable by the audience are in demand because not all ordinary audiences and customers can decipher the highly technical and jargon language. If you are looking for courses to hone your technical writing skills, we have brought the solution to you. We have listed the best 8 technical writing courses in the Philippines in this article.
If you’re wondering why we decided on the Philippines, let us discuss the wide range of opportunities for a technical writer available in the Philippines. Only in the past month, there have been over 100 job openings for technical writers in the Philippines, according to Glassdoor.
The employment of technical writers is expected to increase by 5.5% between 2021 and 2031, according to the. The bureau has also predicted an opening of 3,100 new technical writing positions over the next few years. This increase will greatly impact the Philippines’ market for technical writing.
It highlights the opportunities for technical writers in the Philippines in the future. Hence, now is the right time to enroll in technical writing courses in the Philippines and secure your position as a skilled technical writer.
What is Technical Writing?
Technical writing is part of a bigger discipline called Technical Communication. Technical communication entails communicating any technically complex information to the general audience in a simplified manner. Technical writing furthers the goal of technical communication in the written word.
This writing style focuses on a specific topic that requires simplified explanation or guidance and instructions for the readers. In simple terms, technical writing comes into the picture when a complex concept needs to be simplified for those who need to carry out a specific task or achieve a particular goal.
As opposed to its other counterparts, like creative or academic writing, technical writing serves a very specific purpose and thus incorporates different qualities. Although the name suggests, technical writing is not limited to having technical knowledge. A technical writer should also have a flair for writing that can keep the reader engaged.
Individuals who can fulfill both these requirements are in high demand. The technical writing courses in the Philippines that we have listed provide a curriculum to develop the writing skills that help you excel as a technical writer.
Where is Technical Writing Used?
As the name suggests, this writing style is used in any sector that communicates complicated theories, concepts, and procedures in simplified terms. Hence, technical writing can be used in the engineering, science, finance, medical, government, insurance, advanced technologies, and business sectors.
What Are The Characteristics of Technical Writing?
At its core, technical writing has some characteristics that distinguish it from other writing styles. A technical writer needs to understand and implement these characteristics to give justice to the technical document.
Clarity: Information is communicated in technical writing in a clear, succinct manner with no or little room for misunderstanding. As a result, it speaks clearly and concisely.
Concise: A technical writer should master the art of brevity. The only objective of this writing style is to provide a clear, concise, and straightforward solution to any problem or guidelines for any procedure. Technical writing can be considered to fulfill its purpose when it’s written concisely without any fluff.
Order: Many of the technical writing documents are manuals or guides. Hence, a clearly understandable and actionable order in writing makes the reader easily implement the steps.
Precise: To accurately explain items and processes, technical writing terminology needs to be exceedingly particular.
Detailed: There is no opportunity for interpretation in technical writing because it is so thorough and instructive. It should offer the most thorough and accurate summary of a subject.
Structured: Readers should be able to follow up with this type of writing’s structure readily. This is because readers rely on technical texts to give them detailed instructions.
Lucid and comprehensive language: Good technical writers refrain from using terminology their readers might not understand and write in a straightforward, approachable manner.
No use of denotations: The focus of technical writing is on words’ literal meanings. This prevents misconceptions from occurring as a result of the numerous varied connotations of the same word.
Providing solutions: Solving difficulties is the primary goal of technical writing. Thus this is taken into consideration when creating each article. Readers use these materials to learn technical information or how to carry out specific tasks. As a result, they are set up such that it is simple to refer back to them when problems emerge.
What Are the Different Types of Technical Writing?
Technical writing documentation takes different forms, depending on the sector and the type of information to be communicated. All types of technical writing are covered in technical writing courses in the Philippines. Widely used technical writing forms are:
- Product Specifications
- Installation guides for technical or digital appliances
- Dos and Don’ts lists
- Warranty cards
- Legal documents
- Case studies
- Research and White papers
- Press releases
- Corporate reports
Companies That Hire Technical Writers
The big companies that hire technical writers are:
Apart from working at companies full-time, you can also start freelancing as a technical writer. Many companies look for freelance technical writers who can deliver the best results in a limited time. Once completing any of the technical writing courses in the Philippines, you’ll be able to choose either a full-time job or a freelancing career. You can establish yourself and excel as a successful technical writer by working on multiple projects.
Salary of a Technical Writer
The average salary of a beginner technical writer in the Philippines is ₱28,000 per month, with an additional payment of ₱60,000 per month on average.
For a technical writer with an experience of 4-6 years, the monthly base pay increases to an average of ₱40,000 per month, and the additional pay goes up to ₱62,500 per month.
For highly experienced professionals with more than 7 years of experience, the average total pay is ₱45,000 per month.
Top 8 Online Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines
Even if you don’t live in the Philippines, the technical writing courses in the Philippines conducted online mode have made them accessible to everyone. Everyone from around the globe can now enroll in these courses. Here’s a list of the best courses that offer job opportunities and guidance during job hunting.
1. IIM SKILLS
With various courses over a range of subjects like Content Writing, Digital Marketing, SEO, business accounting, technical writing, and more, IIM SKILLS has established itself as one of the best institutes for technical writing courses in the Philippines. It has successfully provided highly-ranked courses worldwide, and the Technical Writing Master Course is one such course.
Technical Writing Course Highlights:
- Course duration – 5 weeks Live online classes.
- Course fee – 9,865.67 Philippine peso + 18% GST.
- A total of 20 hours of lectures.
- Practical assignments covering 60+ hours.
- The course material is designed to align with Google, top MNCs, Microsoft, Oracle, and Amazon. Adobe, and Cisco.
- Hands-on training in software tools.
- Guaranteed Internship opportunities for one month.
- Placement cell for job assistance.
- Opportunity to publish a white paper.
- Opportunity to publish a technical blog with the Times of India Blog.
- Training on content creation.
- Creating technical reports.
- Writing White papers/ Journals
- Conversational Writing
- DDCL and Versioning
- Training on API documentation using XML
- Creating datasheets, user manuals, and application notes
- Medical writing
- Case study
Phone Number: +91 9580 740 740
One of the leading technical writing courses in the Philippines is provided by the Nanoscience and Technology Consortium (NSTC). The technical writing certificate program covers all the fundamental and advanced ideas, as well as the equipment, program, and applications needed to streamline your workflow.
- Course duration – 6 months
- Course fee – USD 650.
- The course specializes in content writing, instructional designing, technical writing, and medical writing.
- The course is divided into 6 modules.
- The first module introduces the learners to the technical writing process and overview.
- The second module includes understanding the usage of English for technical writing.
- The next module comprises the tools used and the layout structure of technical writing.
- The fourth module covers the design elements, such as headings, notices, and graphics.
- The next module is about technical documentation like User manuals, emails, software requirements, and specifications.
- The final module introduces the Darwin Information Type Architecture (DITA) for technical editing.
Phone number: +91-120-4781230/212, +91-9958161117
With over 5000 courses, certifications, and degrees from international institutions and corporations, Coursera is one of the forerunners in the Philippines for providing the top technical writing courses. The technical writing course by the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology is one of the best technical writing courses in the Philippines provided by Coursera.
- Course duration – 5-12 weeks.
- Training to develop technical writing skills for laboratory reports, research papers, progress, and consultation reports.
- The course includes a capstone project.
After completing the course, learners can:
- Organize the information.
- Conduct thorough research on any subject.
- Work on a capstone project which further adds to the understanding of the writing style and reflects on the portfolio.
You can get further details about the course on the course website.
The Learn API Technical Writing: JSON and XML for Writers course by Udemy are created for technical writers to learn creating API documentation. APIs are one of the most used technical documents presently. Technical writers who can give justice to this documentation with the right skill set are highly sought-after.
- Course duration – Self-paced learning. Ideally, it takes 2.5 hours to complete the course.
- Course fee – INR 3,099
- This course is for technical writers who have experience writing end-user documentation and want to further upskill in the API documentation.
- Video lectures that provide knowledge about APIs and structured data.
- You will be guided through creating and documenting JSON and XML files using four practical exercises.
- Text lessons about two practical software tools
- Five quick tests to keep you challenged
- Each video lecture includes a resource: PowerPoint slides.
You can check out further details on the course website.
Also, check here the best:
- Technical Writing Courses in Vietnam
- Technical Writing Courses in Egypt
- Technical Writing Courses in Malaysia
- Technical Writing Courses in France
- Technical Writing Courses in New Zealand
- Technical Writing Courses in Greece
5. Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning
Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) has been a pioneer in providing online certification and Diploma courses for students all over the world. Their Post Graduate Diploma in Technical Writing in Business Management has earned its spot in the best technical writing courses in the Philippines.
- Course duration – 2 years
- Course fee – USD 1,645 for international students and USD 1,300 for SAARC students.
- This course is ideal for learners who want to pursue a career as a business writer, technical writer, and technical web writer.
- Validity – After completion of 2 years, students get an additional 2 years to complete the course assignments and exams.
- Constant career guidance and job assistance are provided.
- The course is divided into 4 semesters.
- The first semester covers the introduction to technical communication, technical writing style and editing, and the Information development cycle.
- The second semester includes software tools for technical communication, advanced concepts in technical communication, and project management.
- The third semester covers business communication, instructional design for business communication, creative writing in business, and advanced documentation types and processes.
- The final semester includes advanced technical writing tools, research methodology, and one project.
You can download the course curriculum from the official website.
Phone number: 8792740174, 020-66211000
6. Society for Technical Communication
The Technical Author/Technical Writing course offered by the Society for Technical Communication is for learners who want to gain confidence in writing and learn to create content following the best practices.
- Course fee – USD 229
- Students get an understanding of the Technical Author’s role.
- Students learn to create instructional content with ease.
Phone number: +1 (703) 522-4114
7. Techwriter Certification
Basic Certificate in Technical Writing by Techwriter certification offers a self-paced study model. It is designed for students who want to gain experience in the technical writing industry before starting a career. It also helps professionals hone their technical writing skills.
- Course duration – 4 months
- Course fee – USD 975
- Certificate credential from an accredited university.
- Experienced industry experts as trainers.
You can find the contact details and other information on the course website.
8. Henry Harvin
By providing courses in various writing niches like content writing, creative writing, and technical writing, the Henry Harvin Writing Academy has carved a niche for itself in the online training courses space. The Online Technical Writing course is one among the many courses offered by the academy.
- Course duration- 36 hours of online training
- Course fee – INR 17,500. Students can opt for the EMI starting at INR 1,944 per month.
- Accredited and Affiliated with ISO, MSME, and NSDC.
- Interview preparation, job assistance, and career guidance is provided.
- Students placed at HP, Myntra, Hero, Walmart, Accenture, Jet Airways, Oracle, and more.
- Industry experts with more than 15 years of experience as trainers.
- Hands-on training on authoring, screen capture, image editing, spell check, and technical writing software tools.
- Training on the documentation process.
- Components of technical documents.
- Technical writing techniques.
- Training on advanced technical writing tools.
You can download the course brochure and get more information about the course through the course website.
Common Misconceptions About Technical Writing
1. Creativity is of no use in Technical Writing
One of the most common misconceptions regarding technical writing is that authors are restricted in their ability to express their creativity. However, technical writing is ultimately a type of writing. Hence, employing metaphors, analogies, and similes can make manuals and technical materials easier to understand and assist in making a point.
Humanizing technical documents is where creativity comes into play. In fact, creating a technical document that follows all characteristics of this writing style and writing a creative piece that engages the reader is a job of a skilled technical writer. The technical writing courses in the Philippines teach how to master both these skills.
2. Technical writing is not easy
It’s true that technical writers need a deep knowledge of the subject matter. However, deep knowledge can only take you so far without good writing skills. A good writer can get started on any subject with detailed research. Communicating and interviewing experts in the field is a good way to work on technical documentation.
3. Technical writing can be boring
Considering that there is no time to be bored because technical documentation formats are so diverse and call for various techniques. Only a few people know the full range of capabilities of technical writers. They can produce movies, presentations, whitepapers, and instructional materials.
Because it frequently involves much more than just writing, we call it technical communication. The technical writing courses in the Philippines help you master the skill of technical writing and bring in creativity to keep the reader hooked.
Frequently Asked Questions About Technical Writing Courses in the Philippines
Q1. What are the 7 Cs of technical writing?
The 7 Cs of technical writing are:
These 7 C’s make up the characteristics of technical writing which set it apart from other forms of writing.
Q2. What role does a technical writer play?
A technical writer is an expert tasked with producing documentation that clarifies the product’s features and advantages. They focus on content strategy and product scoping to ensure all the information is there for readers to swiftly comprehend what they’re reading.
Technical writers write technical writing, such as user manuals, how-to guides, integration guides, computer system operating manuals, and product specifications that improve the user experience on the digital platform. They collaborate with other technical specialists, such as engineers and software developers, to guarantee the accuracy and clarity of the information they offer.
Q3. What skills should a technical writer possess?
Every technical writer needs to possess the following skills:
- Clear comprehension of and knowledge of the product
- Thorough understanding of the market
- Able to use user/buyer persona
- Basics of technical documentation
- Controlling the communication channel
- Knowledge of software tools for technical writing
- Basic understanding of graphic and web design
- Research abilities
- Teamwork and collaboration
Q4. Is there a high demand for technical writers?
The demand for technical writers is high in all industries. The next few years will see more growth in this profession. There are several openings for the job, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics has claimed that there will be an opening of 3100 new technical writing jobs. Hence, many institutes are developing technical writing courses in the Philippines.
Q5. What are the mistakes a technical writer often makes?
The following are mistakes that a technical writer often makes:
Being vague: The biggest mistake any technical writer can make is being vague while communicating information. Technical writing aims to communicate clear, concise, useful information to the reader. Hence, any vagueness should be removed from the material.
Getting into too much detail: On the other hand, putting too much detail, which might confuse the reader is again a bad practice. Only relevant and useful information should be put in without creating any ambiguity for the reader.
Not using active voice: One of the reasons readers find it difficult to understand technical writing is the excessive use of passive voice. Using an active voice makes the sentences easy to read and understand. Limit using passive voice unless it’s completely necessary for user experience.
Writing without collecting proper information: The entire concept of technical writing is based on presenting accurate information in an easy-to-understand language. To present accurate information, a technical writer first needs to collect every piece of information required for the document. Any missing piece can render the reader uneducated about their problems and not provide a complete solution. Hence, writing should come after completely collecting proper information.
With more sectors and industries coming forward with a need for technical writers, the demand for technical writers has increased tremendously. Looking at the surge of job opportunities for technical writers in the Philippines, pursuers of technical writing have a huge market to capture in the country. If you are one amongst them and are looking for the best technical writing courses in the Philippines, we hope you now have clarity after reading this blog. You can now make an informed decision and scale your technical writing career to new heights.