In today’s time where companies are taking more interest in developing their business more scientifically and logically, it has given birth to new job opportunities for the role of Data Analytics. In this article, you will gain in-depth knowledge about data analytics, its role, salary, and how to get data analytics entry level jobs. In a nutshell, you will gain all the information required before starting a career in this profession.
What is Data Analytics?
- Data analytics is a process in which a company collects tons of raw data, separates useful information from irrelevant one, and then decodes it, in a much simpler and easy-to-understand language so that the data can be organized to form a conclusion to provide better services to the users and increase in company’s sales.
- This is achieved with the help of various tools and machines which help in forming statistical data.
- It helps companies to understand how they can improve their services, which of the product lines is liked by the customer, and in which area the company is lagging and needs to improve itself. Therefore, it helps a company to do a deep study about its past performances and helps in forming well-planned effective strategies for the future.
- The availability of such a well-conceived research facility has eliminated the traditional method of making decisions for business growth.
- It helps companies make better business decisions, leading to better use of company resources.
What is a Hierarchy in Data Analytics?
If you see it from a bigger perspective, you will feel that the role of data analytics is the same at all levels. But when you get into depth (details) you will realize that there is much more to understand at each level.
While aiming for jobs in the data analytics field, you need to build a portfolio presenting all the projects done by you. This helps an employer to identify at what steps you will best fit in for the role they are hiring for as well as helps in building confidence that you are perfectly suitable for the same.
Today data analytics plays a major role in making decisions in a company and they have started to invest a lot in this department. As the future of their company lies in the hands of data analytics, it becomes crucial for them to select a person who is fit for the job. Therefore, while hiring, an employer sees how much hands-on experience a person has and the responsibility he/she can handle as an individual or how much supervision as well as guidance is needed by them to perform their task. Based on this, the hierarchy is divided into 3 major levels:
- Junior Data Analytics: Since they are 1st on the ladder of data analytics entry level jobs, it means they are still in the budding or initial stage and they cannot work on a project alone. There is a need to check their work in short intervals by their supervisors. As there is room for improvement with them, it is advisable to give constructive feedback. They come under the supervision of mid-level data analytics and senior analytics and for getting hired one should have experience of at least 1 year.
- Mid-level Data Analytics: To become mid-level data analytics, one should have at least 2-3 years of experience in this field. During this period, they get to learn a lot about how to find data and analyze it perfectly, with minimum mistakes. Therefore, they require minimum supervision of their work and whenever needed it is done by senior data analytics. With proper guidance available they can be trusted to perform important tasks on their own, thus saving companies time and resources. They are also responsible for keeping track of the performance of junior analytics, giving them proper direction and valuable feedback.
- Senior Data Analytics: One achieves this post after gaining experience of 5-6 years. The senior data analytics are responsible for making plans, setting targets, and making all the major decisions for the company. Nobody supervises their work but instead, they are responsible for the performance of their subordinates. They make sure that the qualitative work done by them is on time and error-free. Therefore, making it a very high-responsibility job.
This is to keep in mind that various organization uses different names in their hierarchy system, therefore the above list can vary as per the organization. Here in this article, we will keep our focus only on the what are roles of data analytics entry level jobs, what are salary packages, etc.
What Are the Qualifications Required to Become a Data Analytics?
- Learning on your own: If you’re in the exploring stage and willing to know whether you want to pursue this field or not, yet you want that invested time to be fruitful, you can always start with self-learning. You will be exploring all by yourself. What is important here is that you still need to develop a portfolio displaying all the projects done by you. They usually work at entry level only.
- Certification courses: you will get to learn basic statistics, and gain knowledge of tools such as SQL, etc. which are used in this field. Many institutes provide courses online as well as offline. Some of the famous websites providing courses are Google, udemy, and Coursera. They provide courses from basic to advanced level. They also help in creating portfolios by making them work on multiple projects in a short duration of time.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree: This will give you in-depth and hard-core knowledge of statistics, maths, and tools and software used in the industry. You will get the opportunity to learn and make projects based on real-life work. If you have a bachelor’s degree you will be considered for mid-level data analytics whereas to secure the position of senior data analytics you will need to gain a master’s degree.
What is the Role of Data Analytics Entry Level Jobs?
Being new to the field they are part of a larger team. They work in a safe environment and have fewer responsibilities as compared to their seniors. Their roles and targets are set by the seniors and they need to keep updated with their seniors about their work done regularly. The common jobs which include data analytics entry level jobs are:
- Data Collection: They either need to deep search to find the catch for the data or buy it from reliable sources. After accruing data, it is then stored in a secure place created by the company to extract valuable information from it for the company’s benefit.
- Data Cleaning: The data that is collected is in raw form. A significant amount of time is spent in these processes as they contain lots of impurities, duplications, errors, etc. Therefore, to use collected data and get accurate analysis from it, there is a need to clean raw data first. This is done by performing various tasks such as standardization and de-duping of data finding missing values and correcting them.
- Developing reports: Once the cleaning is done, data is now available for making reports, which is done by converting difficult and unreadable forms of data into simple and readable language that is easy for everyone to understand. These reports are made by using MS Excel and Power BI. This helps in giving structure to the data and getting it ready to be analyzed by data analysts.
- Data Analysis: The most important role of a data analyst at any level is to interpret and analyze the data. In this stage, they do analyses of search results for the current market trends, patterns, and algorithms. Majorly statistics and its various testing methods are used to search these trends. Some of these tests are mean, median, variance, regression, hypothesis testing, etc. whereas some of the techniques used are regression, cluster data mining, etc. With the help of all these tools and techniques, it is easy to extract all those valuable insights that will help a company to form strategies to achieve its organizational goals.
- Visualization of Data: Once the data is analyzed, it is presented in a visual form that is easy to understand by the stakeholders. To enlighten them about the data one must have strong presentation as well as communication skills. To make this task even easier these data are presented in such a way that it makes data short and crisp saving everyone’s time and helping speed up the process of drawing valuable conclusions from the presented information. These visual presentations of data are done by using various 3-D visual aids, graphs, charts, etc. This is the right time to inform about the shortcomings related to data and discuss the solutions to overcome them.
- Creating dashboards: Dashboards are mostly created for non-technical people so that a company’s data can be well presented most simply to the company’s stakeholders. It is more or less a part of the visualization of data. Here one’s organization can ask to create a dashboard by using various tools such as Power BI, Tableau, etc.
- Storage system: A storage system also known as a database is a system where companies’ data is stored. Although you will be receiving training on how to use storing tools as every company uses different tools as per their requirements, but it is always advisable to have a general idea about what type of tools are being used in companies and what are its functions. Some of the common databases used by companies to store their data are Structured Query Language (SQL) CRM, ERP, etc.
What are the Skills Required for Data Analytics Entry Level Jobs?
- Mathematical and statistical: The name i.e., data analytics entry level jobs itself is self-explanatory, and one needs to have a good command of mathematics and statistics. It will help you understand the functioning of the tools and in which situation one should refer to which specific tool, therefore reaching the outcomes in a short period. It is also important to have a better understanding of these subjects as analysts have to explain their reports to non-technical personnel as well as stakeholders.
- Presentation skills: A company is putting so many resources into gathering data. They expect to receive information in well well-organised manner so that their time can be saved and makes it easy for them to make quick decisions which are best for the growth of their company. These collected data are presented to the company’s bosses, domestic as well as international stakeholders, or any other higher officials related to the project. Therefore, to achieve their goals, it becomes essential for the data analyst to present his data in the most refined and presentable manner.
- Good communication skills: A data analyst should keep this in mind that he/she may need to explain his research to the non-technical person as well. Therefore, they should have the art of communicating their report in the simplest form possible. It would be an advantage for those who are already an expert in storytelling techniques, but it is important for everyone who wants to pursue this field to master written as well as verbal skills of communication.
- Problem-solving attitude: They need to have zeal to find solutions for the hurdles or problems one’s company is facing. Although they are given a set of questions in advance for which they are asked to look for suitable solutions they should also need to have a good understanding regarding the types of interrelated questions which may as well be asked by the stakeholder and form a solution for them. The use of various tools always acts as a support system and make things easy for data analyst. It comes in handy or it will be advantageous for those who are in data analytics entry level jobs to have quick and critical thinking which will help them in connecting the missing dots of data by swiftly grasping the most suitable data available and making the best analyses out of it.
- Ability to work with a team: Since junior data analyst provides support to their seniors, they are generally part of a team. They need to collaborate with various departments to understand their needs, analyze the data, and provide a solution as per the requirement for the company’s benefit.
- Knowledge of Tools and Programming languages: MS Excel, MS Office, SQL, Oracle, Python, R, Tableau, Power BI, SAS, etc. are some of the most important and common tools used in this field. You will be using these tools from the first step of searching the data to clean it making the final report out of it and creating dashboards for its presentation, therefore, becoming your best companions for the rest of your life. Hence instrumental for data analytics entry level jobs.
Check here the best data analytics courses:
- Online Data Analytics Courses
- Data Analytics Courses in India
- Data Analytics Courses in Delhi
- Data Analytics Courses in Mumbai
- Data Analytics Courses in Gurgaon
What Kind of Entry-level Jobs Are There?
As per the information given by the World Bank, the use of the internet has doubled and reached 40% in 2018-2019 and it is expected that by 2025, 900 million users will be using the Internet. With the rapid growth in the use of the internet, it is expected to have rapid growth in this field as well.
Today everyone has easy access to study tons and tons of data and with companies showing more and more interest in using scientific methods to explore these data for their benefits in almost every field now. All they need is a person who has expertise in the study of searching, cleaning, and analyzing all these available data. Therefore, data analytics entry level jobs are required in numerous sectors. Some of them are listed below:
- Finance and insurance
- Accounting sector
- Food industry
- Tourism industry
- Fashion industry
- Education and Healthcare sector
- Retail and E-commerce
- Public sector
- IT sector
- Media and entertainment sector
All these different sectors may require the use of different sets of skills as well as tools. Some of them will also provide you with training for the tools used by them which is to be learned by the students with their all-out efforts and hard work. It is always advisable to update yourself as per the requirement of the industry you are currently working with as well as learn a new set of skills if you’re planning to switch over to a different industry so that it becomes easy for you to adjust to a new environment.
It is to be noted that when you’re looking for a job even if you have 3 years of experience it will still come under data analytics entry level jobs. Moreover, the job title varies as per the industry you are working, the examples of which are shared below:
- Marketing analyst
- Business analyst
- Retail and E-commerce analyst
- Education analyst
- Healthcare analyst
- Insurance analyst
- Accounting analyst
- Operation analyst
Salary of Data Analytics at Entry-Level Jobs
Due to the sudden boom in this sector and the lack of availability of experts, to attract and retain their employees’ companies started to pay higher wages to them. Therefore, making it one of the highest-paying sectors even for those who are new in this sector. It is to be noted that salary may vary for everyone depending on their skills, the amount and quality of projects presented in their portfolio, and their interview skills as well. Here are some of the possibilities to get a salary for data analytics entry level jobs according to data collected from various websites:
- Glassdoor : ₹ 3,74,653 per year
- indeed : ₹ 5,15,010 per year
- upGrad : ₹ 4,24,414 per year
Apart from the basic salary they also receive additional compensation which can vary from company to company. As per the data of Glassdoor in India, an average cash compensation of ₹ 53,522 is given for data analytics entry level jobs.
1. What are the platforms where I can search for Entry Level Jobs for Data Entry Analytics?
Ans: There are multiple job platforms where one can easily find data analytics entry level jobs as per their location. You can also search for full-time, part-time, work-from-home, or freelancing jobs as well. There are more platforms where you can find jobs in this field, some of the most famous job search platforms are:
2. What is the expected salary for Entry Level Jobs in Data Entry Analytics?
Ans: The future of data analyst is very bright and the graph of their salary is in an upward direction only. Salary for data analytics entry level jobs may vary between ₹ 3,74,653 per year to ₹ 5,15,010 per year in India. It depends on the skills and qualifications of a person as well as how actively he is part of various projects and how good his or her portfolio is.
3. What are the roles of Entry Level Jobs for Data Entry Analytics?
Ans: The first and foremost role of a data analyst is to find the most appropriate data from the ocean of data that is available on the internet. Once the hard part is done, they start to clean it to remove all the impurities and duplications, etc. find the missing pieces, and fill it with correct information, so that once the analysis of data starts it will not hamper the outcomes. With the help of various tools such as Powe BI and MS Excel, they form reports in the simplest language which is easy to understand for everyone.
After that analysis of data starts which is later presented by using various visualization techniques such as charts, graphs, etc to make it simpler they may have to develop a dashboard for presenting their hard work to non-technical personnel as well as their stakeholders. They should also know about various data storage as each company uses different types of storage to store their data through data analytics entry level jobs.
4. What types of jobs are available for entry-level data entry analytics?
Ans: Since the use of the internet has become essential in almost all fields, we can say that all these fields also generate lots of data that can be studied for companies’ future development. This makes the future of a data analyst very bright. They get the opportunity to work in various industries such as entertainment, insurance, marketing, accounting, healthcare sector, education sector, media, retail, e-commerce, etc.
Now entire industrial/commercial setups have acknowledged the importance and necessity of data analysis which has created a lot of demand for this profession. Therefore, if you’re willing to do smart work you will be able to achieve success not only in the service sector but in your business as well. The demand for data analysts is high in every sector therefore it is easy for them to switch over industries.
One can easily take advantage of this situation by performing exceptionally well and taking multiple promotions and hikes in their salary as there is a high demand for more skilled data analysts in comparison to the availability of experts. I hope with this article we can clear all of your doubts and it has helped you to conclude a bright future and prospects while discharging the duties of data analytics entry level jobs.