Are you a finance enthusiast who is planning to build a successful career in the investment banking industry? Do you find it difficult to choose an investment banking course out of the plethora of options that are available? Then, this article is for you. This article aims to discuss investment banking course details such as eligibility, fees, course curriculum, and course duration. It also provides a list of the top 8 investment banking courses in India. Moreover, it will introduce you to various factors that should be considered before enrolling in an investment banking course. But before discussing investment banking course details, let’s first talk about the basics of the investment banking sector.
What is Investment Banking?
Investment banking involves providing various financial services to companies or business entities such as advice on investment, mergers & acquisitions (M&A), raising capital, venture capital, etc. Investment banking firms ensure that all financial transactions comply with the regulatory standards set by the regulatory bodies.
These banks act as a bridge between investors and firms who want to raise capital for their business expansion. Some of the top investment banking firms are Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, and the Bank of America.
What Does an Investment Banker Do?
An investment banker undertakes various activities. Some of them have been described below:
● Equity Research
An investment banker analyses the publicly traded stocks of various companies and provides reports to their clients and investors. It helps investors make decisions regarding buying or selling stocks.
● Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
In M&A, companies acquire smaller companies or sell their businesses to buyers. It also involves buying or selling specific divisions of companies. Investment bankers advise these companies on deals related to M&A and help them negotiate with each other.
● Sales & Trading
Investment bankers promote liquidity in the market for stocks, bonds, debt, derivatives, etc. By connecting buyers and sellers of these financial products, they act as market makers.
● Raising Capital
Investment bankers help their clients raise funds using various financial strategies. They act as middlemen between a business entity and the investors. They use their network to find potential investors for their clients and ensure that the whole process is undertaken in a smooth and hassle-free manner.
As an underwriter, an investment banker assumes the financial risk in raising capital. They buy the securities from their clients at a certain price and later sell it to investors. They also provide advice on the terms of negotiation and assess the market conditions for issuing securities.
● Corporate Restructuring
Investment bankers provide advice to companies in financial distress. It helps companies come out of debt or prevent bankruptcy. They analyze the financial statements of their clients and advise them on the modification of their capital structures.
● Initial Public Offer (IPO)
In an IPO, investment bankers help companies determine the right price for their securities, create awareness about their clients’ IPOs, and ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements. They also assess the financial or operational risk of the company before the IPO.
● Asset Management
Investment bankers analyze and maintain the investment portfolio of their clients and create strategies to maximize their returns. They also prepare risk analysis reports and provide advice on the right time to buy and sell securities.
Scope of Investment Banking
According to the Investment Banking Global Market Report 2023, the size of the global investment banking market has increased from $153.49 bn in 2022 to $166.62 bn in 2023 at a compound annual growth of 8.6%. It is further expected to rise to $221.78 bn in 2027 at a rate of 7.4%.
The above estimates indicate the rising scope of the investment banking industry. As economies are growing and businesses are expanding, the demand for capital is also increasing. Also, due to rising globalization, there is an increase in cross-border transactions, capital flows, and international M&A. This has led to the emergence of opportunities for investment banks.
These banks play a significant role in providing support to businesses in their investment and capital-raising activities. They connect businesses with investors and provide innovative financial and advisory services to enhance their growth. The growth of businesses further fuels the growth of the economy.
How To Become an Investment Banker?
Developing the right set of skills and gaining practical knowledge can help you succeed in this highly competitive industry. A good course can help you get an edge over your peers.
If you wish to pursue a career in investment banking, then you should opt for the commerce stream in 11th and 12th standard along with mathematics and accountancy. It will help you build your foundation and help you clear university-level entrance exams for pursuing graduation in finance.
A bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting, or statistics can help you get an entry-level job. Most of the entry-level jobs are at the level of Junior Analyst. However, to rise to a higher pay scale and job role, you need to upskill yourself and get an advanced degree. You can opt for a postgraduate degree like an MBA degree with a specialization in finance or an MSc in finance.
However, if you are not willing to invest 2 years in a master’s degree, then you can opt for a short-term certificate or diploma course in investment banking. Investment banking certificate courses provide in-depth knowledge related to sub-fields of investment banking like financial analysis, financial modeling, M&A, equity analysis, and so on. These courses will also help you learn various tools used in this field. In addition to this, you will get hands-on experience in the investment banking industry.
How to Choose the Best Investment Banking Course?
Due to the availability of various types of diploma and investment banking certification courses, it is very difficult to choose a course that fulfills all your career objectives. It is important to consider all the investment banking course details before enrolling in a course.
There are various factors that should be considered before choosing a course. Some of them are given below-
● Course Curriculum
An investment banking course should be comprehensive and should cover all the important aspects of the investment banking industry.
● Faculty Experience
It is better to do good research on the educational background and experience of the course instructors. The level of expertise of faculty members influences the quality of the course.
● Duration of the Course
The duration of investment banking certification courses ranges from a few weeks to 6 months. Diploma courses are about a year long. If you are a working professional, then you should choose a course that aligns with your work commitments.
● Course Fee
This is the most important factor to be considered. You should choose a course that matches your budget. Sometimes institutions also charge tuition fees in addition to the course fees. So, it is important to carefully take into consideration all these additional charges before enrolling in a course.
Getting course feedback from past students can help you set your expectations from the course. You can get information about the effectiveness of course delivery methods, placement and interview preparation support provided by the institutions, and most importantly, about the quality of education.
Types of Investment Banking Courses
There are mainly three types of investment banking courses-
1. Undergraduate Program
Many universities offer undergraduate courses that provide basic knowledge related to business, finance, economics, accounting, and statistics. To become an investor banker, the minimum eligibility is to have a bachelor’s degree in one of these subjects. The duration of the undergraduate program is usually three years.
2. Postgraduate Program
A postgraduate degree provides advanced knowledge about finance, investment, economics, etc. You can gain specialization in any of the related fields of investment banking. A postgraduate program significantly increases your job prospects.
3. Diploma Courses
Diploma courses in investment banking have a longer duration as compared to certificate courses, they can range from several months to a year or more. They provide in-depth knowledge on a subject. They have a higher value than the certificate courses as they are more comprehensive.
4. Certificate Courses
Certificate programs have a duration ranging from a few weeks to around 6 months. They help develop a good understanding of topics like equity research, financial analysis, M&A, financial modeling, venture capital, etc. They may not cover as many topics as diploma programs and hence, are more affordable.
Top 8 Investment Banking Course Details
This section will provide you with investment banking course details like course fees, duration, curriculum, eligibility, etc.
Rank #1. Investment Banking Course Details
1. IIM SKILLS – Certified Investment Banking Master Course
IIM SKILLS provides 3 months online Investment Banking Course with a one-month guaranteed internship that will help you gain practical experience and industry-relevant skills along with theoretical knowledge. It also provides support in LinkedIn profile building and interview preparation to help raise your job prospects in the investment banking field.
- Course Name – Certified Investment Banking Master Course
- Course Duration – 3 months + 1 month Internship
- Course Fee – ₹ 39,900 + 18% GST
- Eligibility – Bachelor’s degree in BBA, commerce, or a related field, basic knowledge of finance and statistics.
- MS Powerpoint
- MS Excel
- Fundamentals of Financial System and Market
- Derivatives Market
- Technicals of Investment Banking
- Different Market Collaterals
- Technicals of Financial Modelling
- Business Valuation
Rank #2. Investment Banking Course Details
2. IIM Indore – Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Investment Banking
This course aims to prepare you to handle a variety of investment banking responsibilities such as security valuation, asset management, M&A, portfolio management, investment advisory, and derivatives instruments. Participants are selected on the basis of their overall profile and application.
- Course Name – Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Investment Banking
- Course Duration – 12 months
- Course Fee – ₹ 4,00,000
- Eligibility – Diploma or Bachelor’s degree or 2 years Master’s Degree from a recognized university in any discipline with minimum 50% aggregate marks of all the years. A minimum work experience (internships not considered) of 2 years is also required.
- Financial Reporting, Analysis, and Valuation
- Financial Management
- Investments and Portfolio Management
- Investment Banking I
- Investment Banking II
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Options, Futures, and Derivatives
- Economic Environment
- Spreadsheet Modelling for Finance
- Industry Lecture
Rank #3. Investment Banking Course Details
3. Imarticus Learning – Certified Investment Banking Operations Professional
This certification course offered by Imarticus Learning provides 100% job assurance along with extensive career support including placements, resume building, and mock interviews. It will cover topics ranging from risk management and regulation to fundamentals of financial markets, and trade life cycles. You will also gain practical knowledge by working on real-world projects. This course is provided in both offline and online mode.
- Course Name – Certified Investment Banking Operations Professional
- Course Duration – 150 hours
- Course Fee – ₹ 1,40,000
- Eligibility – Finance graduates with 0-3 years of work experience
- Introduction to Financial Markets
- Trade Life Cycle & Settlements Process
- Corporate Actions
- Asset Management
- Introduction to ISDA
- Stock Borrowing & Lending
- Collateral Management
- Risk Management
- Anti- Money Laundering & KYC
- Job Interview Readiness
Rank #4. Investment Banking Course Details
4. CFA Institute – Investment Foundations Certificate
This certificate course helps gain an understanding of the investment industry including foundational concepts and terminology. It provides an overview of the essentials of investment, ethics, and finance roles. You will have to take the final assessment which consists of 100 multiple choice questions after completion of 6 courses to earn the Investment Foundations Certificate. This course is comparable to specialized secondary-level education. After registering for this course once, only two attempts are allowed to pass the final exam.
- Course Name – Investment Foundations Certificate
- Course Duration – 12 months
- Course Fee – USD 350
- Eligibility – No experience required
- Industry Overview and Structure
It covers types of organizations, industry roles, and responsibilities, and key industry forces, particularly fintech. Apart from this, you will gain an understanding of objectives, roles, and types of regulation.
- Types and Functioning of Markets
It provides an understanding of primary and secondary markets, their way of operating, investment vehicles, and decentralized finance.
- Investment Instruments
This course provides an introduction to the types and characteristics of stocks, bonds, derivatives, and alternative investments.
- Investment Inputs and Tools
This course covers topics like microeconomics, macroeconomics, economics, trade, and financial statements.
- Serving Client Needs
You will learn about how investment firms serve their clients and manage risks. You’ll also discover how portfolio performance analysis helps investment professionals and their clients comprehend where risks and returns come from.
- Serving the Greater Good
It covers key concepts related to environmental, social, and governance investing, Diversity, equity, and inclusion in practice. It also provides an understanding of ethics and standards along with ethical decision-making.
Rank #5. Investment Banking Course Details
5. The WallStreet School, India – Financial Modeling and Valuations
This course is designed by industry experts to provide a comprehensive understanding of investment banking techniques, capital markets, and equity research. You have the option to attend classroom training or attend live online classes.
- Course Name – Financial Modelling and Valuations
- Course Duration – 6 months
- Course Fee – ₹ 23,500 + GST/-
- Eligibility – Anyone who wants to make a career in investment banking, Corporate Finance, or Equity Research.
- Basic to Intermediate Excel
- Advanced Excel & PowerPoint
- Basic Finance Concepts
- Feasibility Study/Business Modelling
- Comparable Company Analysis
- Precedent Transaction Analysis
- Discounted Cashflow Valuation
- Merger Model
- Leveraged Buyout
- Mock Interviews and Resume Edits
Check here the other best investment banking courses:
- Online Investment Banking Courses
- Investment Banking Courses in India
- Investment Banking Courses in Delhi
- Investment Banking Courses in Hyderabad
- Investment Banking Courses in Mumbai
Rank #6. Investment Banking Course Details
6. IIM Calcutta – Executive Programme in Investment Banking and Capital Markets
This executive program is offered by IIM Calcutta in association with Imarticus Learning. In this program, you will learn the fundamentals of trading and securities regulations, M&A, debt and equity capital markets, sales, and portfolio management.
In addition to these topics, you will also develop an understanding of financial accounting and analysis. This program will be taught by the highly qualified and experienced faculty of IIM Calcutta. At the end of the program, you will work on a capstone project that will help you gain practical experience and enhance your profile.
- Course Name – Executive Programme in Investment Banking and Capital Market
- Course Duration – 1 year
- Course Fee – ₹ 4,64,325 + GST
- Eligibility – Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience and at least 50% marks in graduation/post-graduation.
- Financial Accounting and Analysis
- Financial Management
- Debt Capital Markets
- Equity Capital Markets
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Restructurings
- Portfolio Fund Management
- Securities Market Research and Valuation
- Securities Market Sales and Trading
- Securities Market Regulations
Rank #7. Investment Banking Course Details
7. IIT Kanpur – e-Masters in Quantitative Finance and Risk Management
This online live master’s program is designed for finance professionals who aspire to build a career in various investment fields. It particularly focuses on risk management practices in organizations. You will work on four projects to get practical experience. You will also get placement support along with incubation support for your startup initiatives. In this program, you have to select a maximum of 3 modules in each quarter.
- Course Name – e-Masters in Quantitative Finance and Risk Management
- Course Duration – Minimum 1 year and maximum 3 years
- Course Fee – ₹ 8,00,000
- Eligibility – Bachelor’s Degree (4 years) or a Master’s Degree (in Engineering/Science/Economics/MBA/CA etc.) with at least 55% marks. Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Foundations of Economics and Finance
- Introduction to Derivative Contracts
- Quantitative Methods in R and Python
- Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
- ML in Financial Modeling
- Treasury and Credit Risk Management
- Advanced Derivative Contracts and Pricing
- Blockchain Applications in Finance
- Technical Analysis in Finance
- Advanced Financial Modeling
Rank #8. Investment Banking Course Details
8. Great Learning – Investment Banking Operations Bootcamp Program
This online boot camp program is suitable for finance graduates who are looking to build a career in investment banking operations. This course provides access to 10+ case studies along with practical knowledge. You will also get a personalized resume LinkedIn review and placement support.
- Course Name – Investment Banking Operations Bootcamp Program
- Course Duration – 3 months
- Course Fee – ₹ 97,000 + GST
- Eligibility – Bachelor’s Degree (B. Com, B.B. A, M.B. A, B.Sc. in Finance, M. Sc in Finance, and MA in Finance). Minimum 60% in UG and should have graduated in 2019 or after.
It provides an introduction to financial systems, investment banks, secondary markets, money markets, forex markets, and derivatives markets.
This module provides insight into trade life cycles – exchange, OTC, Accounting, and reference data management.
- Risk and Compliance
It focuses on corporate action, fund accounting, asset management, fund accounting software, collateral management, collateral management, and AML/KYC.
FAQs: Investment Banking Course Details
● Is investment banking a good career?
Investment banking is a good career option for you if you are passionate about finance and accounting. It offers a high salary package, and growth opportunities and helps build good networks. However, this industry involves long working hours and a high workload. So, it is important to have good time management skills to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
● Where can I find free online investment banking certification courses?
Platforms like Udemy, Edx, Coursera, Alison, and Great Learning provide various free online investment banking courses. These courses are self-paced and their duration is usually 1-3 hours. Some of the free courses also provide a certificate after the completion of the course.
● What are the top universities that offer MBAs in the banking and finance field?
Some of the top universities that offer an MBA degree with a specialization in the banking and finance field include IIM, FMS (Delhi University), NMIMS (Mumbai), Christ University (Bangalore), and Symbiosis International University.
● How to get a job in investment banking?
To get a job in investment banking, it is important to build skills that are in high demand in this field. To gain theoretical knowledge and understand important concepts related to investment banking, you can enroll in one of the investment banking courses listed above. You can also do internships in investment banking firms to get practical experience. You will get to work on real-life projects that will help you understand this industry better.
● What is the salary of an Investment Banker?
The average annual salary for entry-level jobs is Rs. 4.8 lakhs. According to Glassdoor, the average salary of an investment banker ranges between Rs. 9 lakhs to 38 lakhs.
Conclusion: Investment Banking Course Details
Finding the right investment banking course may seem complicated. The first step is to think about your interests and define your career goals. Once you have identified your career objectives, it is important to do thorough research on various course options that are available and carefully weigh the pros and cons of each course. This will help you narrow down your choices and reduce confusion. It’s only after you’re properly informed about all the investment banking course details that you can pick the right course.